JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

With an automatic first offender pardon, is an expungement

With an automatic first offender pardon, is an expungement necessary? He would like to be able to check no on an application when asked if ever arrested, or convicted of a felony. My nephew would also like to pass a background check without this information coming up. This is in Louisiana for public bribery.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

The automatic pardon and expungement are different things. The Louisiana automatic pardon only applies to restoring certain rights but it does not erase the conviction or the arrest. An expungement does erase the arrest and conviction but can only be granted in very limited circumstances.

There is a fairly good description of all of this here... %20/demoMode/%3D%201/Language/1/State/LA/TextOnly/N/ZipCode/%20/LoggedIn/0/rpc/1290200/doctype/faq/ichannelprofileid/5509/iorganizationid/585/itopicID/628/iProblemCodeID/1290200/iChannelID/140/isubtopicid/1/iproblemcodeid/1290200/iquestionid/751

Please review and let me know if I can help you further.

I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.