LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

WHAT IS THE TIME LIMIT ON MISSOURI RIGHT TO A SPEEDY TRIAL

Customer Question

WHAT IS THE TIME LIMIT ON MISSOURI RIGHT TO A SPEEDY TRIAL???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. You have a right to a speedy trial under the Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution, which requires that the trial be held within a certain time frame after a person has been charged with a crime. This right can be waived by asking for additional time for the preparation of your defense.

3. With limited exceptions, a defendant should be brought to trial in Missouri: Within 70 days of your first appearance on an Information or Indictment; If you are in custody, within 90 days following the beginning of custody.

4. A felony is a crime usually punishable by imprisonment for more than one year. A misdemeanor, on the other hand, is usually punishable by a fine or a year or less of incarceration.

5. Specifically, this right is governed by Missouri Constitution Article I Bill of Rights § 18(a) and Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 545 Proceedings Before Trial § 545.780.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.