Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

A 19 year old boy got caught with my 15 year old daughter by

Customer Question

A 19 year old boy got caught with my 15 year old daughter by sheriff. He was eventually put on probation and not allowed around my daughter. Four months later they snuck around and did it again, this time she got pregnant. I did not know until 5 months along. I did not tell on him. Now she had her baby and he was there, and now I let him come over to visit her and the baby. The hospital said they have to report this to our local police department. My question is: Do I have any liability in this? Will I get in trouble letting him come over? I don't want him over, but he seems to have an interest in the baby. If they file charges, will they also come after me? I really want a reason to keep him away, but please tell me what the law says.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.

Technically, they could charge you with conspiracy and/or aiding and abetting, or even contributing to the delinquency of a minor (ie your daughter), but I think that is somewhat unlikely. If they do decide to charge you, however, you should get an attorney as soon as possible to defend your interests.

If he has a stay away order in effect, he is not allowed to be around your daughter and doing so violates the terms of his probation. If he wants to be involved with the baby, there are avenues he can take that are not illegal, such as seeking visitation outside of the presence of your daughter (a court may appoint someone to supervise the visitation). It is up to him to try to take advantage of these legal options, however. Out of an abundance of caution for your own liability, I would not sanction his visits any more.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. That was very helpful. I think I knew the answer but needed confirmation. It's going to be hard to now tell him he can't come around anymore, and to tell my daughter. But I am so tired of giving him these privileges. He should not get any benefits from what he did.
No problem. If he tries to give you problems, just let him know what I told you...that he can get a lawyer and try to work it out so he can have visitation with the baby but that you can't be expected to violate the law for him. Good luck.