Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

My husband was charged and did time as a one time sex offender.

Customer Question

My husband was charged and did time as a one time sex offender. This happened when both were underage (he says he fondled her breast). They did not say anything at the time of the incident but waited until after he had graduated from highschool and came back from training from Desert Storm. Being this was the first case they had in that county they prosecuted him to the fullest extent. All of this is how he states it. Since then, at one time, years back, his probation officer locked him up and would not let him call me or anyone, until he had signed the paper to be put on the sex offender list. He went to court, was released off probation early by a woman lawyer who said she believed that he had truly changed. He has raised my two children,(from son, 5 and daughter,15;now 18 & 27) and is the only father they have known. This has followed him ever since, and is making it hard for me to be here. Is there some way to get his name off this, these laws didn't exist when he was incarcerate
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, if the crime he was convicted of requires him to register, the only way to get his name off the registry is to remove the conviction from his record. In Georgia, the only way to do that is to get a pardon from that crime. I have to warn you, though, pardons are very rarely granted.

Here's the information about applying for a pardon in Georgia. The page also includes the link to the pardon application:

Good luck.