socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

A robbery victim had a conversation about acquiring drugs with

A robbery victim had a conversation about acquiring drugs with the perpetrator prior to being robbed. police arrived on the scene nearly immediately while the robbery was in process. The victim has been informed that he will be subpoened to testify before a grand jury relating to this matter.   What steps should the victim take to protect themselves?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

If the victim/witness believes that his/her grand jury testimony may incriminate him/herself, then the witness may decide to assert the right to remain silent to all of the questions asked, or to request and obtain immunity from prosecution as a prerequisite to giving any testimony.

Evidence elicited during the grand jury questioning could be used to develop a case against the victim, so testifying openly, if the victim believes he/she is at risk of prosecution, could be perilous.

Note, also, that there is no right to be represented by legal counsel at a grand jury hearing.

The victim is STRONGLY urged to consult with a criminal defense attorney prior to testifying before a grand jury.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.