John, Lawyer
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.

Recently my daughter was involved with a reltail theft incident

Recently my daughter was involved with a reltail theft incident the district justice informed us that the store attorney could send us a bill for $150 plus the retail cost of the item, i sent the attorney a check for $164. i was informed on Oct 31st by phone that because they didnt get there money within 20 days of there original bill that we owe them a late fee of another $280 , they recieved the original check and cashed it within 30 days of there original bill do i have to pay the $280 that they are asking for? or do i have some alternative. i feel that $280 is a high amount for a late fee.
Send them a certified letter asking them to explain what authority they claim to be do a late fee of $280 and to provide you a detailed response.