Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I was wondering if a person can be charged with anything, If

I was wondering if a person can be charged with anything, If he or she created a program that was used by another person that searchs and destroys government systems? I was very curious about this for about two years.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

the creator would have to have knowledge that it is being used in a criminal manner - for instance, the inventor of the screwdriver could not be held criminally liable because someone used one to break into a car, house, etc. so the person would have to know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But if that was the case the creater would also have to be directed from more than one area to pin-point the user( considering it is a computer based question). Also the creater would have to be identified by someone or a multitude of data-bases to verify that it was not a case of Idenity Theft. Correct?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

if the product is being used specifically for and can only be used for that purpose, then the creater could be held criminally accountable. if the creater's name turns up on a program and the creater had no knowledge that it was being used then your statement would be correct in that there would need to be a chain of events

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

you're welcome -