socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Can the district attorney be held liable if there is evidence

Customer Question

Can the district attorney be held liable if there is evidence of negligence or misconduct
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A district attorney who prosecutes a case where there is less than a 50/50 probability that a crime has been committed, can be sued for malcious prosecution, assuming that the case is dismissed in favor of the defendant, and it can be shown that the DA's actions were taken for a "wrongful purpose."

It's the last element of the action that's the hard one to prove (wrongful purpose). However, if you really believe that the DA has gone out of his/her way to prosecute someone wrongfully, then you can complain to the Oregon State Bar Association (

And, you can hire an attorney and sue the DA for malicious prosecution.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.