Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I made a realy bad choice and after several discussions agreed

I made a realy bad choice and after several discussions agreed to make love to a 15 year old. I am 20 and in the Navy derferred program and realize now that I just ruined my entire life. The father of the girl called me and said he will press charges. It has been a few days now and I have tried to call the father to tell him it was a bad choice but consentual. How long does he have to bring the charge against me. Should I admit to him my guilt or would that hurt me later?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
Don't admit anything to anybody except your lawyer. Don't have any contact with anybody except your lawyer about this topic. Don't text anybody about this topic. Don't email anybody about this topic. DO NOT call the father and talk to him unless your lawyer tells you to.

Hire a lawyer in that area immediately who does "criminal law". Put the case into their hands and follow their advice to the letter.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How long do they have to pursue this? If I go in the Navy can they come after me 2 years from now? I could have figured out "seek an attorney" that does not help me, as I do not have money for an attorney.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
They have a long time to pursue you. Depending on the exact charge it could be in excess of ten years and with some charges there is no statute of limitations. They absolutely can go after you 2 years from now. Whether you are in the Navy has absolutely no effect on what they can do. In addition, the statute of limitations stops while you are out of state.

My advice to get an attorney should not be disregarded. I'm sure you had thought of it, but I want to emphasize how important it is to have a lawyer acting as a shield. The chances of you being able to help yourself in any way is almost zero and the chances of you hurting yourself by trying to fix this are almost 100%.