N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

I awoke Friday morning in a state of sleepiness due to a unknown

I awoke Friday morning in a state of sleepiness due to a unknown drug I had taken the night prior. I drove a work vehicle without the knowledge of my boss and was in an accident in which nobody was injured. My state of mind was blacked out. I was charged with DUI. While in the police station I was asked to sign a document so the officer could see if I was using a cell phone at the time of my accident. I signed the document and the officer began going through my entire phone and telling me he had enough evidence to search my entire house in which I have roommates. So as a service to them I was convinced to sign a document allowing the officers to search only my room. I would like to know if my signature and the discovery be held against me in a courtroom even though my state of mind was completely unaware? This is a complex situation so I would appreciate a opportunity to further explain. I have no money but I am going to select the 30 dollar option on the next page. I need thatmuchhelp
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did this happen Thursday night?
Do you think someone dosed you with a drug?
Can you please get a blood sample taken IMMEDIATELY and ask your doctor to run a toxicology panel on you, and tell the doctor what happened so he will have an idea of what other tests to run. If you were dosed it would help a lot if you could prove it, so the faster to get a blood sample taken the better.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took what I believed to be a pain killer on Thursday night, a friend of mine woke me on Friday morning for work, and I was in a delusional state of mind due to the pill I had taken the night prior. I am not subscribed to take any sort of pain medication I was only taking it for my own thrill, the contents of the pill was in my own judgement not pain medication it was purchased in the street and must have been filled with something else. The police pulled me over on the road and hour or so later while I was in a blacked out state of mind. They took a urine sample to see what drug I was on and began urging me to sign forms to allow them into my phone and home. I know I will be charged with the DUI no matter what, however I would like to know if the drug in that pill put me in such a state of delusion can I be held responsible for any evidence found in my home or on my phone to be used against me? I made some large mistakes however I feel as though the police lied to me to get my signature and took advantage of a man that was not in the right state of mind. They found half of a pill, and one ounce of marijuanna in my room. I dont see how a traffic stop leads me to signing papers to search my phone and home. There was nothing found on me during the traffic stop and I blew a zero on the BAC test. I have yet to be charged with anything found on my phone or in my room, however I am sure they will be arriving shortly. Tomorrow morning after court I will be sure to get a blood sample taken at a doctors office so I can see what exactly was in my system.
Get the blood taken today as quickly as possible before whatever it is metabolizes out of your system.

In general voluntary self intoxication is not a defense to a crime, but it may negate the voluntariness of the papers you signed while under the influence. Do you have any idea what drug you might have taken? What was it sold as?   Do you know if anyone was with you when this happened?

Where did this happen? I need to know to refer you to a local crimnal defense attorney, because it sounds like you are going to need one.

I think that your consent to the search was obtained by fraud or undue influence. Instead of investigating, the plice should have been taking you to a hospital.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have the blood taken as soon as I awake tomorrow morning. This happened in Hanover NJ. I was alone at the time of the accident, and the drug was believed to be oxycotin, as stupid as this may sound I have taken that pill on several prior occasions and have never had that sort of an effect on my brain. The police did take a urine sample while I was at the police station that day. I have some money saved not that much and I have family close to me that are willing to help me in getting an attorny that will stand up for my rights. I do feel very much taken advantage of, there is no way if I was thinking clearly that I would have signed any sort of document allowing the police to invade my privacy like they did that day. If you do know of any lawyers that will actually willing to fight for me, I will be willing to pay them. Thank you for your advise if you have any lawyers in mind you can respond, if not just say so and I will gladly press the accept button on my screen. I just would like to give you a chance to respond with attornys names.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also found a DEA file from last year of them discovering over 4000 fake oxycotin pills on the Canadian border. stamped CDN just like the ones I had taken they had been filled with some sort of medication that puts a person to sleep. I just cannot find the link at this time.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago. is a directory of criminal defense attorneys in your area, many of whom offer a free consultation. Hopefully you can find one to help you with this.

I think the police should have taken you to a hospital. Any forms that you signed while whacked out on oxycodone or whatever it was should not be considered to be freely voluntarily knowingly signed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you good to know