N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

One year ago I let a potential boyfriend and his 19 year old

One year ago I let a potential boyfriend and his 19 year old son move into my home with me, the father turn out to be an acoholic, and the some was bringing drug items in my home and smoking dope of sorts, I asked him to leave and take his son with him. He refused so I told him if he did not make arrangements. I would put his stuff in storage and he could move in with his parents. he said this was not an option. And said I needed to give him 1600.00 so he could rent a house. I told him I did not have that kind of money. And that I was going to move his stuff this weekend, so when he went to work, and the son left the house I paid for the storage container and gave him the keys. Now he is threatening me that he is going to press charges against me. What are my legal rights. I am very scared of both of them. I live in NY State Rochester area. Please advise
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like he never paid rent and had no rights as a tenant.

Just letting someone stay in your house does not make them a tenant, no matter how long they stay. No matter what he tells you the state police told him, I see that you are not in jail and have not been arrested. I think it is very unlikely that you will be arrested because I think you had the legal right to change the locks, because he was never your tenant. If a guest in your home starts taking drugs or committing other crimes in your home, you can throw them out without a court order.

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/lawyer_dir/search/jsp/stdSearch_process.jsp?stype=BY_ADDR_OR_ZIP&keyword=Landlord+tenant&location=Albion%2C+NY&language=Select+a+language is a directory of landlord tenant attorneys in your area, some of whom offer a free consultation. I urge you to consult a local attorney about this, but my opinion, for what its worth, is that you are not guilty of any crime and he cannot sue you for changing the locks.

I hoe this information is helpful.