N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

Do I need an attorney for a public intoxication charge in the

Do I need an attorney for a public intoxication charge in the state of Arkansas. There was no violent or crazy behavior involved but I was definitely drunk. I am 42 years of age with absolutely no criminal record. I would like for this to be off my record when all is said and done. Will a public defender appointed by the court do the job?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
Yes the PD can definitely handle this.

Since this is a first offense you may be eligible for diversion.

The prosecutor regularly makes plea bargains, see http://www.accessfayetteville.org/government/city_prosecutor/faqs/index.cfm

You or your attorney may be able to make a plea bargain that would not result in a criminal record.

Most criminal defense attorneys offer a free consultation. You can find one in your area in the phone book or at lawyers.findlaw.com.

Or just ask the court to appoint an attorney at the first court appearance, called the arraigment, at which you will plead not guilty.

I hope this information is helpful.