Susan Roberts
Susan Roberts, Judge. retired
Experience:  Retired state trial judge. Civil and criminal experience. 29 years legal practice.

My son was driving home November 1 at about 2am. He hit a car

My son was driving home November 1 at about 2am. He hit a car that was stopped in the road because it had already been in an accident. He panicked and left the scene on foot. Two hours later he called the police to report the accident. He was arrested and is in jail. Arraignment is Monday at 9am. We have never been involved in anything like this before. We need advice and help as to what we can do. Our son lives in Virginia and we live in Texas.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

Your son will need a lawyer experienced in criminal law. Of course, he will be unable to retain one by Monday morning. If he cannot afford a lawyer, he should ask the judge to appoint a public defender. If he can afford one, he should ask the judge for time to hire counsel. If there is an issue of bail, he should ask the judge to allow the public defender to represent him solely for the issue of bail.

Best of luck. I know how worrisome this must be for all of you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome. Hope all goes well for your son.