Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I recieved a ticket in july for fireworks, I went to court

I recieved a ticket in july for fireworks, I went to court on the date given, and was told that no charges had been filed. I was told to call after 2:00 pm the same day to see if charges would be filed. To my surprise, nothing was filed and the court clerk said I was free to go. Today I received a notice ( almost 40 days later) stating that I was to appear in december. Is this legal? Has my right to a speedy trial been violated? I am willing to get an attorney if necessary.
No, your right to a speedy trial doesn't start until you are charged. It is legal for them to file charges anytime within the statute of limitations, which is going to be at least a year from when the "crime" was committed, and usually much longer.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.