Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I obtained my X husbands criminal record and surprised to see

I obtained my X husbands criminal record and surprised to see that he has a thriving construction business even though he is a three time felon. Some of his customers are my customers, too. They are family friends. We want them to know just who they are dealing with, so we bought a copy of his criminal history. All the convictions are valid due to a release I saw 4 years ago to a DA here in Virginia. Can I legally send his criminal record to these people without me becoming liable for defamation? I just want him to leave here. He tried to kill me 4 years ago and like many women I let him off the hook from 5 years of prison. I regret that and just want him to leave. He is a danger when on drugs and he is actively using them again. Can you help me?

DearCustomer- Since this is a matter of pubic record you can send it to whomever you please. Truth is a complete defense to a defamation, libel or slander suit. If you are relying on the ex for alimony or child support payments you may want to think twice before you put him out of business but it is your choice.

There is nothing wrong in providing truthful information.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law