Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Ireceived a writ of summons to join as an additional defendant,

Ireceived a writ of summons to join as an additional defendant, what exactly does this mean and what should I do now?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
It means that you have been named as a defendant in the action named in the summons and you should have also been served with the copy of the complaint in the matter and you MUST answer the complaint or you can get a default judgment against you. You should take the complaint to an attorney and have them answer it for you within 20 days of you receiving the summons.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All I received was the writ, no copy of a complaint
Then you will need to contact the court that issued the writ and you have a right to know what you are being added as a defendant to.