JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
1969057

I got picked up for public intoxication in San Diego, CA. Upon

I got picked up for public intoxication in San Diego, CA. Upon release the next day, I was informed that I was put in the tank to Detox only. No court date or anything. How does this kind of charge show up on a background check? I got a letter from a lawyer I dont intend to contact who got notice somehow thru public records that I had been picked up. (he got my address somehow). I searched public records thru two sites and cant find anything in my name. Any insight on this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

If they didn't arrest you and charge you with a crime or citation, then nothing should show up on any criminal background check. The lawyer probably got your name off a booking sheet at the jail. Some attorneys will review the intake sheets each night to solicit clients... I do not agree with this practice but it happens. Your name would appear in the booking sheets because everyone that goes in the jail has to be logged. This does necessarily mean that you will be charged with a crime.

I would contact the jail or clerk of your local court in a few days to confirm no charges have been filed (just to be safe). But it sounds like you are in the clear.

________________________

I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.