Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

I have a uniform summons which states that I was operating

Customer Question

I have a uniform summons which states that I was operating after suspension. My license was suspended for failure to appear in court for failure to come to complete stop at stop sign. The failure to appear in court happened in New York State. I now live in Maine where I was stopped for operating after suspension.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.

Hello.

The maxiumum penalty is 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine. The minimum fine is $250.

But you have a defense if you did not have actual notice of the suspension and New York didn't send you the appropriate notice. You should retain an attorney (or apply for the public defender if you can't afford one) to defend you in court and ensure the best outcome possible for you.

I would recommend that before you go to court on this, you pay the outstanding fines in New York to get your license reinstated if you haven't yet. That will make a more favorable impression on the court if you have cleared that up.

Good luck.