JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

I was caught stealing $161 worth of clothes from Kohls & I

Customer Question

I was caught stealing $161 worth of clothes from Kohl's & I have a court date what should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

You should not speak to anyone about the matter (it could be used against you) and seek out a qualified local attorney to represent you in the criminal case. Assuming you have no prior history you should be able to obtain some sort of first offender status that enables you to complete a probationary period and have your record expunged.

Speak to a qualified attorney right away.

I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.