N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

I am a director of a Condo in Florida and we have a pending

I am a director of a Condo in Florida and we have a pending civil lawsuit. Our insurance company has told us that they wouldn't cover any board members from from any wrong doing in this matter. Even tho this is a civil lawsuit let's say this suit turned against any board member that might be personally sued for wrong doing or some criminal act. Can a director or homeowner protect there home by filing a transfer of deed out of his or her name to protect themselves from any future liens etc til this suit is settled. Thank You
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago.
Taking the property out of his name at this time could be considered a fraudulent transfer. If the condo has CGLI or D&O insurance there is a strong argument that the insurer has to defend the directors.

I would look for a good insurance coverage attorney.

If there is a leiti,ate dounb as to coverage the carrier might have to defend the director under a reservation of rights, but the duty to defend is broader than the duty to indemnify. If there is any insurance that might cover this, please bring the policies to a local insurance attorney. lists quite a few, and a couple offer a free consultation.

I hope this information is helpful.