Aaron Paul
Aaron Paul, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 2003; Public defender for 30+ months with daily courtroom experience

can a convited felon hunt deer with a 50 caliber black pow

Customer Question

can a convited felon hunt deer with a 50 caliber black powder
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Aaron Paul replied 8 years ago.
The law varies from state-to-state regarding primitive guns, and there are federal rulings regarding whether muzzleloaders are considered "firearms."

The best suggestion to give you is this:

1. Speak to an attorney in Minnesota. If you're on parole or probation, you probably have access to a public defender to ask. You can also ask a criminal attorney for a free consultation.

2. Speak to a parole officer or probation officer. the probation officer is going to be the person who will violate your probation, and should be able to answer that question definitively.

Here is a site dedicated to the federal statute regarding muzzleloaders and what I call "primitive guns."

Please keep in mind that none of this is legal advice, and I urge you not to possess any gun, muzzleloader, or any other gun based on this answer. You must speak to an attorney in your jurisdiction to get a definitive answer to this question. And just because you don't violate federal law doesn't mean you won't violate Minnesota law!

If you find this answer helpful to you, please click Accept below, or I will not ge credit.