Aaron Paul
Aaron Paul, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 2003; Public defender for 30+ months with daily courtroom experience

My son is 22, he and two other people was charged with armed

Customer Question

My son is 22, he and two other people was charged with armed home invasion in Florida. My son did not know that did not harm anyone and this is his first offense. What kind of time is he facing and can he get his charges lessened?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Aaron Paul replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer- Sorry to hear about your son.

I understand your concern for getting the best plea for your son, but I suggest you have faith in his attorney. Your son's attorney, especially if he is a public defender, will have almost daily exposure to the prosecutor and judges, and if your son wants to plead, his attorney will work with the prosecutor.

If there is a possibility of a lesser sentence, then his attorney will work for it. I think when defendants are offered twenty-five to life, there is little else to do than just go to trial and roll the dice (unless he's facing 50 years to life, of course). The prosecutor will know there will be an aversion to negotiate if the plea isn't good enough.

If you find this information helpful, please click Accept below, or I do not get credit.

Good luck, and keep in mind that his attorney is going to have the most information and be able to help your son in negotiating the best plea agreement!