Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
11056146

How does a parolee know who to believe his commisioner who

Customer Question

How does a parolee know who to believe his commisioner who said his end od parole date is 10/01/08 and has a paper that states this and his parole office who is telling him he is not off until 10=01-09? HOw will this be disputed if it is the prison boards paper work that supersides?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
It is usually possible to determine the length of parole based on statutory requirements. If you can provide the following information, I can tell you what the release from parole date should be:

date of conviction
commitment offense
date of first release from prison
whether or not parole was ever revoked
if so, for how long the parolee was returned to prison (this time in custody extends the parole eligibility date)

If you have a document from the Board of Parole Hearings indicating that your parole end date is 10-1-08, that is probably correct, unless there was an administrative error of some kind.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1. Parole is not willing to give me this info. I am renting to this man. He is giving me the run around.
Ah, I thought perhaps you were the parolee and would therefore know this information.

I am immediately suspicious of anyone who will not provide sufficient background information for you to determine his correct status. Have you seen the paperwork which supposedly shows his release from parole date is 10-1-08?

You can try contacting his parole officer again, but CDCR regulations generally prohibit public release of information about offenders under the control of the CDCR, so he may not be willing to give you a release from parole date.

If that turns out to be the case and this parolee refuses to give you any information about his commitment, you should consider terminating the rental agreement.