Aaron Paul
Aaron Paul, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 2003; Public defender for 30+ months with daily courtroom experience
12301379

A 17 YR OLD TOOK HER MOMS AND DIDNT RETURN IT. THIS IS THE

Customer Question

A 17 YR OLD TOOK HER MOM'S AND DIDN'T RETURN IT. THIS IS THE 1ST TIME SHE HAS BEEN ARRESTED FOR B.O.T OVER $5000.OO BAIL SENT AT 5,OOO SERUITY BOND NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW BEFORE HAS A DRUG PROBLEM BUT WAS NOT ARRESTED FOR DRUGS WHAT CAN THE INDIVIDUAL EXCEPT TO HAPPEN?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Aaron Paul replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I'm sorry, I don't think you mentioned what it was the person took from her mother.

Let me know what it was and I'll see what I can do to help!

Aaron
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
her car 2005 nissian sentra
Okay, thanks for clarifying that!

It sounds to me like this person was charged with grand larceny, which in general terms is the taking of property, with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of it, in excess of $1000 (or in this case $5000). there are varying degrees of larceny, and differ from state to state.

South Carolina Code of Law section 16-13-30(B)(2) reads that larceny in excess of $5000 is punishable by imprisonment for up to 10 years.

This individual can expect to be indicted on felony charges and potentially be imprisoned for this crime, unless she seeks the help of an attorney.

My suggestion to this person who is charged with larceny is to get an attorney (or ask to have one appointed to her if she can't afford one). Her attorney can help her in negotiating this charge down to a possible lesser offense, (or even possibly have it dismissed, which is highly unlikely).

If you have found this information helpful, please click Accept below; I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have even after you have accepted.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX luck!

Aaron
Aaron Paul, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: Attorney since 2003; Public defender for 30+ months with daily courtroom experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WHAT KIND OF LESSER CHARGE MIGHT THE BE IF SHE PLEAD QUILTY AND COULD GET SENTENCE TO REHAB OR GET MENTAL HELP
She could be sentenced to rehab, as part of her probation. It's always better to allow people to do their own rehab on their own, that way if she changes her mind she doesn't violate probation and be sent to jail!

Her attorney will have a better idea of what lesser offenses are available for this charge, including a lesser larceny charge, or possibly joyriding (if available in South Carolina). If she is interested in pleading, she should talk with her attorney about that.

Take care,

Aaron