Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I bought a discount coupon certificate that gave specific goods

I bought a discount coupon certificate that gave specific goods for free at a national retailer. The producer of the coupon had an agreement with the retailer for said coupon to be sold to independent distributors to be resold at a higher price. The certificate is copyrighted, I duplicated the coupon and resold quite a few for the face value of the coupon. What could I be charged with?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

hi

penalties for those convicted of coupon fraud related crimes vary by each case and the number of laws violated. as of this date, according to the Coupon Information Corporation the longest prison sentence is 17 years and the highest financial penalty: $5 million - prison sentences of three to five years are not uncommon. financial penalties generally vary, but have often been in excess of $200,000. you can read more at this link

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know if this falls under a coupon, basically, company A sells a coupon book with a face value of $30 to an independent seller for $15 to resell it at face value. The coupon book entitles the buyer four free oil changes and other discounts related to service needed for their automobile from company B. I know this is fraud but am I defrauding company A or company B, or both? And what can I possibly be charged with?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

hi

yes. it falls under coupon fraud and you can be charged with exactly that, along with theft if they wanted to toss that in. you are defrauding both companies - theft from one and coupon fraud on both. you can also check it out on the federal trade commission website using this link - this is a very serious crime. i have not overstated the penalties as you can see if you look at the websites i have provided. merchants have been losing millions of dollars due to such counterfeiting and therefore the laws were passed and they are strict.