Aaron Paul
Aaron Paul, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 2003; Public defender for 30+ months with daily courtroom experience

I know someone from the Netherlands is impersonating real,

I know someone from the Netherlands is impersonating real, living people in the USA and UK on the internet by setting up e-mail accounts with the person's real name and representing themselves as these real, living people. What this person does not realize is that his IP gives him away everytime, and always goes back to the home or work computer. he doesn't even realize that yahoo adverts in Dutch appear on his e-mails. Is there anyway to hold this person liable, either criminal or civil or both. I have a mountain of e-mails with headers which trace right back to the imposter and know his name and address.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Aaron Paul replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer- This might be a stretch, but if it happened to me, or I had this information I would try two places, in this order:

1. Call the FBI; there are usually local field offices that you can visit or call. Let them know what information you have, and be prepared to give your contact information (or you'll probably not be believed. . . you probably won't be anyway). See what they say about it; you might be surprised (or disappointed).

2. Contact the International Police, aka interpol. Here is the contact page where you can email them in Lyon, France, and here is the contact information:

General Secretariat
200, quai Charles de Gaulle
69006 Lyon

Fax: +33 (0)4 72 44 71 63

The problem with prosecuting interstate crimes (where one person commits a crime against you while in another state) is compounded when you're dealing with international crimes. This is why it is very difficult for these individuals to come to justice.

Good luck, and if you found this information helpful, please click Accept below; it is the only way I get credit.