Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

I have a problem and need help i wanted to know is this discrimnation

Customer Question

I have a problem and need help i wanted to know is this discrimnation my brother is a freshman and his principal seems to be picking on him. She told him he is hanging with all thed girls and he is in pe and that is for girls and he should be in athletics. also she took it upon herself to call several members in the family to let them know about him that she feels he is switching around school, and that really makes me angry i need help please.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
This conduct by the principal is way out of line and I applaud you not only for recognizing it, but undertaking to do something about it on your brother's behalf.

Your parents should intervene immediately to stop this before it gets any worse. They should first go to the principal to express their concerns and if they get no satisfaction with her, they should go to the superintendent of schools. And if that doesn't work, they should file a complaint with the local school board.

Your brother has the right to take pe if he chooses and to be himself at school, regardless of what his principal thinks about his actions. The principal calling family members to express her intolerance is borderline incomprehensible these days. She should be required to undergo refresher anti-discrimination training.

Good luck dealing with this problem.