Aaron Paul
Aaron Paul, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 2003; Public defender for 30+ months with daily courtroom experience
12301379

My ex wife has an order of protection against me. On the order

Customer Question

My ex wife has an order of protection against me. On the order the boxes refrain from home school or place of business is not checked off does this mean i can go to the house when she asks me too. im afraid its a setup
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Aaron Paul replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

The answer: No, do not go to the house if she asks you to. Never go to the house! Whether or not it is a setup this time, if you have a protection order against you and you go to the house everything might be okay for a few days, weeks, or months (or however long your protective order is in effect), but if she files a complaint with the police even weeks or months after you were there you could be found in violation, even after the protective order is lifted (I've seen it, and it's ugly)!

In regards XXXXX XXXXX general question about why those boxes were not checked off, I would suggest going to the judge or magistrate who entered the protective order and ask him to be more specific regarding where you can go and what you can do.

I should mention one other thing: judges hate protective order violations for two reasons. First, because the judge explicitly told you not to do something and you did it anyway. Second, because protective orders are put in place for a reason, usually because one person feels threatened by the other. In the eyes of a judge, when you violate that order, you are effectively terrorizing another person. That's the only way he or she will see it, and they just hate it.

Good luck, and if you have found this information helpful, please click Accept below; it's the only way I get credit. I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have even after you accept my answer.

Thanks!

Aaron