Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
11056146

My Juvinile son was charged with being in posession of tobacco

Customer Question

My Juvinile son was charged with being in posession of tobacco products (16-12-1713A)...What is the likely outcome?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
The penalties in Georgia for a minor in possession of tobacco products are described in Georgia code section 16-12-171 (b)(2):

A minor who commits an offense provided for in paragraph (1) of this subsection may be punished as follows:

(A) By requiring the performance of community service not exceeding 20 hours;

(B) By requiring attendance at a publicly or privately sponsored lecture or discussion on the health hazards of smoking or tobacco use, provided such lecture or discussion is offered without charge to the minor; or

(C) By a combination of the punishments described in subparagraphs (A) and (B) of this paragraph.

If he has no prior offenses, he may receive less than the maximum 20 hours of community service, but will probably be required to perform at least some service, in addition to attending a health hazard lecture or discussion.
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience: CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Expert:  AttySince1978 replied 8 years ago.
A lot has to do with the past criminal history of a juvenile. If your son has a fairly good background than I don't think the juvenile Courts will go hard on him. He certainly will not receive any jail time. Since the crime is a nonviolent crime he will probably receive probation for a period of time.

Please check ACCEPT answer so that I can receive credit for this response. Thank you.