johngibson15219, DUI Lawyer
Experience:  Admitted to Pennsylvania Bar October 1980.

My 25 year old brother was chatting with a 13 year old girl

My 25 year old brother was chatting with a 13 year old girl online. The talk got kind of perverted, then he said he was going to Starbucks. She asked which one and said she'd meet him there. My brother gets to Starbucks and turns out he's been set-up by an undercover cop. They seize his laptop, go to his house, get his desktop computer, look for child porn. None was found. No charges have been pressed, he hasn't been arrested, but he's afraid he will be and is generally afraid of the ramifications. Should he get a lawyer? How scared should he be?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  johngibson15219 replied 8 years ago.
He should be scared. A lot depends on what was said in the internet conversation. Charges will probably be filed and he should not say anything about the matter to anyone or even discuss it until that happens. He doesn't need a lawyer unless he is arrested or charges are filed. If either of those things happen, he should exercise his right to remain silent and his right to be represented by a lawyer.