Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases

My stepson is being accused of simple assault, he is 17, the

My stepson is being accused of simple assault, he is 17, the fight was not mutually consented. He and 3 other kids gang up on this one person and put him in the hospital. My stepson claims he only hit the kid once, he threw the first punch which caused the other kids with him to beat this kid up. I would like to know what kind of sentence he could expect? We also live in PA and my stepson is just finishing up probation for a misdeamner charge for possesion of marijuana. Thank you for your help.

Well fortunately he's still underage - under 18. The judge is going to place him in a detention center most probably - away from home and full time at the center. This is somewhat based upon his prior conviction but mostly upon this new altercation. Just the fact that he was involved and admittedly did throw a punch and hit the other kid is enough - it's considered bullying and taken very seriously by the courts of today.

Yes, I would immediately get an attorney - maybe he/she will know the DA and be able to work out a "deal".