socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Is careless driving in New Jersey violation 39 4-97 considered

Is careless driving in New Jersey violation 39:4-97 considered a misdemeanor or just a petty offense? And if it's just a petty offense does that mean it's considered not to be a misdemeanor? Trying to figure out whether I need to answer "yes" to an application question asking if I have ever been convicted/charged with a felony or misdemeanor.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Careless driving is a "moving violation," not a misdemeanor or a petty offense.

New Jersey law does provide for the possibility of imprisonment for 15 days on a careless driving violation (NJS § 39:4-104), so based on that, it could conceivably be adjudged by a court as a misdemeanor. But, I think not, because it would mean that nearly every citizen of the state has committed a misdemeanor during his/her lifetime.

It's worth noting that the NJ MVC describes careless driving as a violation, as well (

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.