Katherine K
Katherine K, Lawyer
Experience:  Legal research expert
3987705

in kansas i had a class e felony in 1983 which is the lowest

Customer Question

in kansas i had a class e felony in 1983 which is the lowest of the felonies criminal damage to property over 150.00. i had this expunged in 1991 but it still shows on my record when searched by law enforcement for a job application. can i have this reviewed by the county attorney and the new statues applied which would lower it to a misdemeaner. therefore making me eligable for a law enforcement job i am trying to get. i have been clean and ran my own business for the last 20 years
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Katherine K replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Unfortunately, this is how the law still stands. Law enforcement personnel are permitted to see your record even though expunged. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but there is not really anything you can do if you were convicted of the felony.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,
Katherine

Under K.S.A. § 21-4619 (in part):

(h) Subject to the disclosures required pursuant to subsection (f), in any application for employment, license or other civil right or privilege, or any appearance as a witness, a person whose arrest records, conviction or diversion of a crime has been expunged under this statute may state that such person has never been arrested, convicted or diverted of such crime, but the expungement of a felony conviction does not relieve an individual of complying with any state or federal law relating to the use or possession of firearms by persons convicted of a felony.

(i) Whenever the record of any arrest, conviction or diversion has been expunged under the provisions of this section or under the provisions of any other existing or former statute, the custodian of the records of arrest, conviction, diversion and incarceration relating to that crime shall not disclose the existence of such records, except when requested by:

(1) The person whose record was expunged;

(2) a private detective agency or a private patrol operator, and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made in conjunction with an application for employment with such agency or operator by the person whose record has been expunged;

(3) a court, upon a showing of a subsequent conviction of the person whose record has been expunged;

(4) the secretary of social and rehabilitation services, or a designee of the secretary, for the purpose of obtaining information relating to employment in an institution, as defined in K.S.A. 76-12a01, and amendments thereto, of the department of social and rehabilitation services of any person whose record has been expunged;

(5) a person entitled to such information pursuant to the terms of the expungement order;

(6) a prosecuting attorney, and such request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made in conjunction with a prosecution of an offense that requires a prior conviction as one of the elements of such offense;

(7) the supreme court, the clerk or disciplinary administrator thereof, the state board for admission of attorneys or the state board for discipline of attorneys, and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made in conjunction with an application for admission, or for an order of reinstatement, to the practice of law in this state by the person whose record has been expunged;

(8) the Kansas lottery, and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made to aid in determining qualifications for employment with the Kansas lottery or for work in sensitive areas within the Kansas lottery as deemed appropriate by the executive director of the Kansas lottery;

(9) the governor or the Kansas racing commission, or a designee of the commission, and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made to aid in determining qualifications for executive director of the commission, for employment with the commission, for work in sensitive areas in parimutuel racing as deemed appropriate by the executive director of the commission or for licensure, renewal of licensure or continued licensure by the commission;

(10) the Kansas sentencing commission;

(11) the state gaming agency, and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made to aid in determining qualifications: (A) To be an employee of the state gaming agency; or (B) to be an employee of a tribal gaming commission or to hold a license issued pursuant to a tribal-gaming compact;

(12) the Kansas securities commissioner or a designee of the commissioner, and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made in conjunction with an application for registration as a broker-dealer, agent, investment adviser or investment adviser representative by such agency and the application was submitted by the person whose record has been expunged;

(13) the Kansas law enforcement training commission and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made to aid in determining certification eligibility as a law enforcement officer pursuant to K.S.A. 74-5601 et seq., and amendments thereto;

(14) a law enforcement agency and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made to aid in determining eligibility for employment as a law enforcement officer as defined by K.S.A. 22-2202, and amendments thereto; or

(15) the attorney general and the request is accompanied by a statement that the request is being made to aid in determining qualifications for a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to the personal and family protection act.