Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

I was questioned in relation to a friend who was arrested for

Customer Question

I was questioned in relation to a friend who was arrested for sex crimes against minors. While being questioned the police threatened to kill me, refused to allow me to call an attorney though I asked at least 6 times, and said he would fudge the "evidence" to show I was guilty even though I am uninvolved with the friends illegal activity. I still live in fear of the police. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
As you obviously know, you have a right to have an attorney present during any questioning by police officers. You should consult with a local attorney who can be available to assist you if the cops want to talk to you again. Then do not speak with any police officer unless your lawyer is present.

Of course, there is no way the officer was serious about killing you and was probably just trying to scare you into telling what he believed to be the truth. If you had no involvement in the sex crimes committed by your friend, you almost certainly have nothing to fear from the police.
Thank you for the accept, though I have to say I don't understand why you gave me negative feedback. I don't even disagree with your feelings about being threatened by cops, but I don't get to make the laws ... just explain what they are.