Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

I have been searching for a pro bono attorney, are there any

I have been searching for a Pro Bono Attorney, are there any in Arizona? We were being harassed by a neighbor which ended in my boyfriend being arrested for aggravated assault and disorderly conduct. The assault charge was dropped but we were told that he can get up to 15 years in jail. That is absolutely ridiculous. The other party didn't go to jail but he is the one that initiated the entire situation. He is also the one that physically charged at my boyfriend first.Mind you that my boyfriend is 5'10 and 185 lbs and the other individual is 6'4 or 5 and about 280 lbs. This maniac actually called us on the phone and threaten to kill us. There's something not right with this picture, and I am very upset and disappointed at the Scottsdale Arizona Police Department. I requested phone records from my local phone company (COX) however, I was told that I would need a subpoena to have the records released because they are a part of other customers' records. Well , don't I need an attorney to do that? It's really unfortunate that if you are low middle class and cannot afford an attorney, you are literally screwed! My boyfriend is over 40, never been in any trouble, no record at all. He took an early retirement from American Airlines, but unfortunately he cannot collect his pension until he is 55 years old. He is currently unemployed, though he's actively seeking employment. I am employed full time and it's a bit difficult with one income. Therefore, getting an attorney is almost impossible. I know that some attorneys give back to thte community by accepting some cases Pro Bono and that is what we need. Your assistance is greatly appreciated
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 5 years ago.
There is definitely something askew in this situation and the assistance of an attorney is definitely indicated. Has your boyfriend actually been charged by the district attorney's office and does he now have a criminal case pending? If so, he may be eligible for appointment of the public defender, who will represent him at no charge (though some fees may be charged when the case is over if he then has the ability to make some payment).

To try to find a private attorney who is willing to work pro bono or at a reduced rate, check the Arizona State Bar website at:

http://www.azbar.org/LawyersHelpingYou/freelegal.cfm

Then scroll down to Maricopa county for the address and phone number for Community Legal Services. They provide access to free or low cost attorneys who volunteer their time to assist the indigent.

If a criminal case has or will be filed, you will be able to obtain any necessary phone records during the discovery process.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning Mr Reilly,

Thanks for your answer. It was greatly appreciated. My boyfriend will be contacting them today. Can you please tell me how I can get access to the phone records. This will show the 70-75 times this person has called our phone number. I was told that I needed a subpeona. Is that true?

Thanks You !

Regards,

Customer/p>

If a criminal case is filed, his attorney will be able to obtain the records by subpoena; or if the DA obtains them for the prosecution, the defendant gets copies through discovery.

If no criminal charges are filed, a civil suit will have to be filed to subpoena the phone records for another person's phone.

However, you should be able to obtain your own phone records without a subpoena, including records of incoming calls. You do not need a subpoena to obtain your own records.

My phone bill shows the numbers from which incoming calls were made. Doesn't yours?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello

No it doesn't have a list of incoming LOCAL calls. I thought that I had mention it before Mr Reillu. I was told that I had to get a subpeona to request a record of my incoming calls. i know that it may sound strange but that was what I was told. They stated it's other peoples records. How stupid is that. They are calling me, why shouldn't I know.. Thanks for your assistance.

You're welcome, happy to have been able to help. If your own phone records do not show the numbers of incoming phone calls, I frankly don't understand why you need a subpoena to obtain those records, since they are your records. However, if that is what they are requiring, then you will probably have to follow the procedures I described above.

Good luck in this difficult situation.
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience: CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mr Reilly,

Thanks for the time you have taken to assist me. Everything here in Arizona is so foreign to me. I am a Nebraska woman and I don't think that I will ever adapt to the

policies, procedures and laws, not to mention Ariznona is so tax crazy. Have a great

weekend!

Kind regards,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mr Reilly,

policies, procedures and laws, not to mention Ariznona is so tax crazy. I know your time is valuable, so no response to this message is necessary. I know there's many people who need your assistance and I don't want to waste your time. Have a great weekend !

Kind regards,

Customer/p>

You're welcome, I am happy to have been able to help you.

And how about that Arizona HEAT? Wink

Good luck with this & you have a great weekend, too.