N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

i am a woman with bipolar disorder who has had a sexual encounter

Customer Question

i am a woman with bipolar disorder who has had a sexual encounter with a 16-18 year old boy in approximately 1996.i need to know if there is a statue of limitations on prosecution?if not then how much time am i facing in prison?this was not forced in any manner and was concentual between both parties.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
According to the Illinois criminal statute of limitations on
sexual abuse of a minor: within 1 yr. of victim turning 18, 3 yr. minimum; sexual conduct or penetration in professional of fiduciary relationship: 1 yr. after discovery by victim

If this happened in 1996 I believe the statute of limitations has run out and you cannot be convicted now.

I hope this information is helpful; if you want legal advice you'll have to contact an attorney in Illinois. is a listing of criminal defense attorneys in or near Moline, some of whom offer a free consultation.

I hope this information is helpful.