P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

If I came from the bathroom in a towel and my 18 year old daughter

If I came from the bathroom in a towel and my 18 year old daughter saw something that accidentally showed, would that be considered 'exposure'? If it were purely accidental and unknown?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me which state you are in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Arizona. At the time of the incident in question, I lived in Illinois.
Here is the law in Ill

§ 720 ILCS 5/11-9. Public indecency

Sec. 11-9. Public indecency. (a) Any person of the age of 17 years and upwards who performs any of the following acts in a public place commits a public indecency:

(1) An act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct as defined in Section 12-12 of this Code [720 ILCS 5/12-12]; or

(2) A lewd exposure of the body done with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desire of the person.

Breast-feeding of infants is not an act of public indecency.

(b) "Public place" for purposes of this Section means any place where the conduct may reasonably be expected to be viewed by others.

(c) Sentence.

Public indecency is a Class A misdemeanor. A person convicted of a third or subsequent violation for public indecency is guilty of a Class 4 felony.

So, as in most states, the government must prove that you intended exposure and that it was for a sexual purpose. If they can not prove this, you will not be convicted

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get paid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I have another question regarding this, is it more money?? :P
Send away
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She says it was on purpose. I didn't even know it happened. This has been 5 years ago. It's her word against mine. Can I be held liable and be arrested? Even if I didn't do anything wrong? It scares me to think that she could say what ever and ruin my life.
If she was 18 or older, then the law above will apply. this would be a he said she said, and unless there is some significant damage associated I would be suprised if the da would take this 5 years out. In fact

§ 720 ILCS 5/3-5. General Limitations

Sec. 3-5. General Limitations. (a) A prosecution for: (1) first degree murder, attempt to commit first degree murder, second degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident involving death or personal injuries under Section 11-401 of the Illinois Vehicle Code [625 ILCS 5/11-401], failing to give information and render aid under Section 11-403 of the Illinois Vehicle Code [625 ILCS 5/11-403], concealment of homicidal death, treason, arson, aggravated arson, forgery, or (2) any offense involving sexual conduct or sexual penetration as defined by Section 12-12 of this Code [720 ILCS 5/12-12] in which the DNA profile of the offender is obtained and entered into a DNA database within 10 years after the commission of the offense and the identity of the offender is unknown after a diligent investigation by law enforcement authorities, may be commenced at any time. Clause (2) of this subsection (a) applies if either: (i) the victim reported the offense to law enforcement authorities within 2 years after the commission of the offense unless a longer period for reporting the offense to law enforcement authorities is provided in Section 3-6 [720 ILCS 5/3-6] or (ii) the victim is murdered during the course of the offense or within 2 years after the commission of the offense.

(b) Unless the statute describing the offense provides otherwise, or the period of limitation is extended by Section 3-6 [720 ILCS 5/3-6], a prosecution for any offense not designated in Subsection (a) must be commenced within 3 years after the commission of the offense if it is a felony, or within one year and 6 months after its commission if it is a misdemeanor.

Looks like after 3 years the state will be barred from prosecution

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could she try and bring a civil suit against me? If so, would it hold any merrit? I know that's a loaded question, but I have to ask. Then I'm done. ;)
Generally a civil suit will expire in 3-5 years...so if you are past 5 years your safe.

regardless, in a civil suit she would need to be able to show damages and you would have to have lots of money...civil suits are expensive and a lawyer will only take if there is a pot of gold at the end.

So, if your rich and she is emotionally harmed for life and its within the statute...maybe if not, not

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.