lawhabit
lawhabit, Criminal Law Answer Team
Experience:  Criminal Law Expert
11541361

my nephew is being accused of rape after the girl partied with

my nephew is being accused of rape after the girl partied with him all nite, was seen kissing him, flirting etc. spent the nite in his bed and they had sex. We do not know if this was a set up or what, she was told my his grandmother to leave, she went to the hosp. and cried rape. he was picked up, taken to jail, and it was totally consentual sex. they are in early 20,s they dated way in the past. We have a lawyer working on the case, my question is can he turn this around and sue for slander and defimation of character?? many witnesses saw them all thru out the nite together
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lawhabit replied 6 years ago.
If the statements are false and they caused him provable damages, then he may sue for slander (for the oral statements) and libel (written defamation) if it's the case.

He'd have to prove the following:
   1. A false and defamatory statement;
   2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
   3. Depending on the situation, negligence or malice by the part of the defendant; and
   4. Damage to the plaintiff.

He may also be able to sue for wrongful prosecution or wrongful use of civil proceedings.

The best thing to do is to retain a lawyer with experience in these matters early on.

Please let me know if I can be of further help. Good Luck!

Please click ACCEPT now, so that I may get credit for this answer. We can still communicate after you click Accept. I appreciate a positive feedback.

The answer provided is for general informational and educational purposes only and is NOT legal advice. I am not your lawyer. No attorney-client relationship of any kind has been formed. You may not rely on this answer as legal advice. I am making no representation that I may be licensed in your jurisdiction and you may not act or refrain from acting based on the information provided in this answer. You should seek an attorney in your area to obtain legal advice.

lawhabit, Criminal Law Answer Team
Experience: Criminal Law Expert