N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

If a rape was committed in Idaho 35 years ago and the offender

If a rape was committed in Idaho 35 years ago and the offender now lives in Washington state. First of all what is the statute of limitations for rape in Idaho and secondly how can we try this person that now lives in Washington?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
According to there is no statute of limitations for rape in Idaho. If the suspect is indicted in Idaho, the Idaho authorities can file an extradition request with the authorities in Washington.
Just based on the fact that this happened 35 years ago it seems that it would be hard to prove and I do not know what are the chances Idaho would try to press charges after so long a time has passed. But under Idaho law the mere fact that it happened 35 years ago does not of itself prevent charges from being filed.
I hope this information is helpful.