INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions
11313492

DOES LAW ENFORCEMENT HAVE TO SERVE A CURRENT WARRANT PRIOR TO SEACHING YOUR PROPERTY

No Comment Added
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
Generally a warrant is required to search to search property but there are exception such as if the officer belives a crime is going on, stop and frisk.   If you provide more detail I can comment further
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
PURPOSE THE SEARCH WAS FOR A FELON SUSPECTED TO BE ON THE PROPERTY. IN THE PROCESS THE DOG WAS KILLED. THE OFFICER INVOLVED KNEW 2 DAYS PRIOR THAT THERE WAS A DOG PRESENT, YET SHOT THE DOG ANYWAY.
generally a warrant is required for a search of private property.   

I am sorry about the death of the dog. Unfortunately, this happens sometimes but the officer should be required to account for the circumstances justifying such actions which would mean proving the dog was a threat to his or her safety.