Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

in the state of Indiana can a hospital or CPS take a stool

in the state of Indiana can a hospital or CPS take a stool sample from a new born with out a court order or warent
Could you provide a little back ground information?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can a hospital in the state of Indiana take a stool from a newborn without a warrent? Someone called child protective services and said my wife was smoking marijiana while pregnant. They took a macomum sample(infants first bowel movement) without showing a warrent or any other court order. Do they have to have probable cause on hear say and is it legal the way the hospital obtained the sample.
CPS is a little different than most agencies but I still think they had to have a warrant to obtain a stool sample although they could have asked the hospital to test it if they were testing it anyway. You probably will have a right to al least try to suppress the test. They can have probable cause based solely on hearsay.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.