Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

an accident happens in New Jersey, its a three car crash,

an accident happens in New Jersey, it's a three car crash, minor damage, no injuries. The rear car initiates the accident, the drivers exchange information including liscense plate numbers, and insurance, but the initiator of the accident leaves the scene before the police arrive to make the report. Will the New York police go to the rear drivers home and arrest him for leaving the scene? Will the police tow the rear car if found parked on the street? Will the police pull the car over and arrest the driver if found on the road?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
The charges against the New York driver will actually be filed in New Jersey and they will have to extradite him from NY to NJ after he is arrested. It is unlikely NYPD will tow his car for this wreck, although once he is charged they will arrest him if he is pulled over and then tow the car.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the NYPD run the cars' plates in New York, while on the road, will they pull the car over and arrest the driver?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Once a charge has been filed in New Jersey a warrant will issue for his arrest and be put on the national database. At that point if he is pulled over he will be arrested.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is the furthest extent of charges filed against this driver in New Jersey? Maximum penalty?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
There are a variety of charges possible in New Jersey. Rather than cover them all I'm going to give you a link to the statutes. The charge that can be filed is based on the facts of the wreck.

http://www.deadlyroads.com/laws/new-jersey-hit-and-run-laws.shtml