Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

My husband was stopped for a DUI in Aiken,S.C. This is his

Customer Question

My husband was stopped for a DUI in Aiken,S.C. This is his 2nd in the last year. We do not know the law of S.C. now, so we don't know what he is looking at. We have tried other attorneys to ask for some legal advise, but they want so much money we can't pay that. When he was approached, he was sitting in the car in a private parking lot. The officer told him he had a phone call reporting my husband. We did not recieve any papers from his 1st DUI, so he still had his licence. They wrote a ticket for DUS, and not surrendering his licence. That's 3 tickets. What are the laws dealing with this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 8 years ago.

In South Carolina, drunk driving is a serious crime with potentially serious consequences. In addition to leaving you with a permanent criminal record, a DUI/DWI conviction can result in license suspension, a hefty fine, increased insurance rates and even jail time up to one year for a second offense.

Since your heusband was arrested he should have had a lawyer appointed for him if he cannot afford one - tell the court he can't afford a lawyer and the free lawyer they appoint for you will be able to guide your husband through this mess. Meantime, get him into a program - state laws don't mess around with drunk drivers anymore and this can end his career and ruin your family. So now is the time to put an end to it!

All the best,