Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

My probation has been transfered from the state of Fla. to

My probation has been transfered from the state of Fla. to NJ. I have to sign up for the DUI program (Second Offense), alcohol evaluation, and counseling by September 8, 2008. I was told by a probation officer in Fla. that this is a 12 week program in the state of Fla. What I would like to know is the comparison of time and cost requirements between the state of NJ and Fla. for these classes; as well, if I start these courses in the state of NJ will I be able to go back to Fla. and finish these classes; or do I have to complete the classes here in NJ.
The DUI alcohol treatment laws and programs are different in every state and it is highly unlikely that you will be able to start in one state and finish in the other.

New Jersey law N.J.S.A. 39:4-50, subsection (b) requires convicted DUI offenders to participate in a program as described here:

(b) A person convicted under this section must satisfy the screening, evaluation, referral, program and fee requirements of the Division of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse's Intoxicated Driving Program Unit, and of the Intoxicated Driver Resource Centers and a program of alcohol and drug education and highway safety, as prescribed by the chief administrator. The sentencing court shall inform the person convicted that failure to satisfy such requirements shall result in a mandatory two-day term of imprisonment in a county jail and a driver license revocation or suspension and continuation of revocation or suspension until such requirements are satisfied, unless stayed by court order in accordance with the Rules Governing the Courts of the State of New Jersey, or R.S.39:5-22.

Information about the Intoxicated Driving Program (IDP) is available on the NJ Department of Human Services website at:

If you contact them, they should be able to give you all of the information you need about the New Jersey programs that might be available to fulfill your Florida court requirements. They should also be able to advise you regarding the transferability of attendance from NJ to FL.