Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I need a sample letter to the judge requesting leniency.

I need a sample letter asking a judge for leniency when he/she is sentencing my brother for his indiscretion. He is currently serving time in several counties until his sentencing approaches. I want to word it so, I do not offend the judge but I want him/ her to know that my brother learned his lesson and deeply regrets the choices that he has made. I also want the judge to know that my brother has 4 young children ( 3 boys and 1 girl) and until his untimely incarceration has separated the positive bond/ relationships between a father and child. My brother has a very strong support system and he/we would be most appreciative on the judge's decision of leniency to be considered.

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

To The Honorable Judge X:

I request and plead for leniency in the sentencing of My brother, Y.

My brother, Y, is a generally law abiding person who deeply regrets the mistakes he has made. He has learned his lesson.

My brother, Y, has 4 young children ( 3 boys and 1 girl). These children depend upon their father. He has a positive bond with them. (Here insert something that your brother does with each child that is positive- like softball coach or homework assistance)

My brother has a very strong support system. We will assist Y in obtaining a job and making better choices.

I would be most appreciative if you would consider leniency for my brother.

Your Name

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.