INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions
11313492

what is attempted theft

can you be charged with theft for touching something that was found left out in a common place such as a hallway if you find a purse left out in a hallway and you open it to view the identity of the person who lost it can you be charged with attempted theft
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
As there is a charge for attempted theft, your situation is one of a potential misunderstanding and the prosecutor would need to show that you intended in absconding with the bag rather than seek its true owner. You should consult with a local criminal defense attorney as it remains a serious situation. As you can imagine, the defense if looking for a true owner, has been used by captured thieves so presenting your defense must be done professionally.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello im looking for something a little more concrete than that. what is the legal definition of attempted theft and in a case such as this what is the rate of dismissial especially when it was stolen by individual a and dropped of after the contents of the purse had already been taken but individual a was no where to be found and c just happend to encounter individual b who was in possesion of the bag and actually looked inside c only looked at piece of paper with numbers on it to see if she could reveal by the number on the paper with no name on it who the purse belonged to but both c and b were charged with attempted theft because they cant find a
your last comment was cutoff so please add whatever other information you want me to consider. i dont have access to rate of convictions by crime and the definition of attempted theft varies by state. Your situation would be considered attempted theft or theft and you will need to present your defense. Of course the burden is on the prosecutor but possession of a another person's pursue will need to be explained to the prosecutor by a skilled local attorney who hopefully will dismiss charges and credit is as a misunderstanding. you can find local counsel through a local bar association or www.martindale.com
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions