Katherine K
Katherine K, Lawyer
Experience:  Legal research expert
3987705

In the state of Wisconsin is filing a false police report a ...

In the state of Wisconsin is filing a false police report a felony? What is the statute, what is the felony classification and what are the possible sentences if found guilty? What is the statute for stealing another person's pet animal (dog) and taking it to another state(s)? What is the statute of limitaions for prosecution and the possible sentence if found guilty?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Katherine K replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Regarding theft of a dog, this is under 943.20. The problem with taking it to another state is it could take it to the federal level. Theft. (in part):

(1) ACTS.

Whoever does any of the following may be penalized as provided in sub. (3):

(a) Intentionally takes and carries away, uses, transfers, conceals, or retains possession of movable property of another without the others consent and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of possession of such property.

(b) By virtue of his or her office, business or employment, or as trustee or bailee, having possession or custody of money or of a negotiable security, instrument, paper or other negotiable writing of another, intentionally uses, transfers, conceals, or retains possession of such money, security, instrument, paper or writing without the owners consent, contrary to his or her authority, and with intent to convert to his or her own use or to the use of any other person except the owner. A refusal to deliver any money or a negotiable security, instrument, paper or other negotiable writing, which is in his or her possession or custody by virtue of his or her office, business or employment, or as trustee or bailee, upon demand of the person entitled to receive it, or as required by law, is prima facie evidence of an intent to convert to his or her own use within the meaning of this paragraph.

(c) Having a legal interest in movable property, intentionally and without consent, takes such property out of the possession of a pledgee or other person having a superior right of possession, with intent thereby to deprive the pledgee or other person permanently of the possession of such property.

(d) Obtains title to property of another person by intentionally deceiving the person with a false representation which is known to be false, made with intent to defraud, and which does defraud the person to whom it is made. "False representation" includes a promise made with intent not to perform it if it is a part of a false and fraudulent scheme.

(e) Intentionally fails to return any personal property which is in his or her possession or under his or her control by virtue of a written lease or written rental agreement after the lease or rental agreement has expired. This paragraph does not apply to a person who returns personal property, except a motor vehicle, which is in his or her possession or under his or her control by virtue of a written lease or written rental agreement, within 10 days after the lease or rental agreement expires.

(2) DEFINITIONS.

In this section:

(ac) "Adult at risk" has the meaning given in s. 55.01 (1e)

(ad) "Elder adult at risk" has the meaning given in s. 46.90 (1) (br)

(ae) "Individual at risk" means an elder adult at risk or an adult at risk.

(ag) "Movable property" is property whose physical location can be changed, without limitation including electricity and gas, documents which represent or embody intangible rights, and things growing on, affixed to or found in land.

(am) "Patient" has the meaning given in s. 940.295 (1) (L)

(b) "Property" means all forms of tangible property, whether real or personal, without limitation including electricity, gas and documents which represent or embody a chose in action or other intangible rights.

(c) "Property of another" includes property in which the actor is a co-owner and property of a partnership of which the actor is a member, unless the actor and the victim are husband and wife.

(cm) "Resident" has the meaning given in s. 940.295 (1) (p)

(d) "Value" means the market value at the time of the theft or the cost to the victim of replacing the property within a reasonable time after the theft, whichever is less, but if the property stolen is a document evidencing a chose in action or other intangible right, value means either the market value of the chose in action or other right or the intrinsic value of the document, whichever is greater. If the thief gave consideration for, or had a legal interest in, the stolen property, the amount of such consideration or value of such interest shall be deducted from the total value of the property.

(3) PENALTIES.

Whoever violates sub. (1):

(d) If any of the following circumstances exists, is guilty of a Class H felony:

1. The property is a domestic animal.

(e) If the property is taken from the person of another or from a corpse, is guilty of a Class G felony.

(4) USE OF PHOTOGRAPHS AS EVIDENCE.

In any action or proceeding for a violation of sub. (1), a party may use duly identified and authenticated photographs of property which was the subject of the violation in lieu of producing the property.

The filing of a false police report constitutes obstructing an officer:

946.41. Resisting or obstructing officer.

(1) Whoever knowingly resists or obstructs an officer while such officer is doing any act in an official capacity and with lawful authority, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In this section:

(a) "Obstructs" includes without limitation knowingly giving false information to the officer or knowingly placing physical evidence with intent to mislead the officer in the performance of his or her duty including the service of any summons or civil process.

(b) "Officer" means a peace officer or other public officer or public employee having the authority by virtue of the officers or employees office or employment to take another into custody.

(2m) Whoever violates sub. (1) under all of the following circumstances is guilty of a Class H felony:

(a) The violator gives false information or places physical evidence with intent to mislead an officer.

(b) At a criminal trial, the trier of fact considers the false information or physical evidence.

(c) The trial results in the conviction of an innocent person.

(3) Whoever by violating this section hinders, delays or prevents an officer from properly serving or executing any summons or civil process, is civilly liable to the person injured for any actual loss caused thereby and to the officer or the officers superior for any damages adjudged against either of them by reason thereof.

Under 939.50. Classification of felonies.

(h) For a Class H felony, a fine not to exceed 10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 6 years, or both.

I will locate the limitation of action for you. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Katherine

Katherine K, Lawyer
Experience: Legal research expert

Ok, here is the Limitation on Prosecution under 939.74. Time limitations on prosecutions.

(1) Except as provided in subs. (2) and (2d) and s. 946.88 (1), prosecution for a felony must be commenced within 6 years and prosecution for a misdemeanor or for adultery within 3 years after the commission thereof. Within the meaning of this section, a prosecution has commenced when a warrant or summons is issued, an indictment is found, or an information is filed.

(2) Notwithstanding that the time limitation under sub. (1) has expired:

(a) A prosecution under s. 940.01, 940.02, 940.03, 940.05, 948.02 (1), or 948.025 (1) (a) may be commenced at any time.

(am) A prosecution under s. 940.06 may be commenced within 15 years after the commission of the violation.

(b) A prosecution for theft against one who obtained possession of the property lawfully and subsequently misappropriated it may be commenced within one year after discovery of the loss by the aggrieved party, but in no case shall this provision extend the time limitation in sub. (1) by more than 5 years.

(c) A prosecution for violation of s. 948.02 (2), 948.025 (1) (b), 948.03 (2) (a), 948.05, 948.06, 948.07 (1), (2), (3), or (4), 948.075, 948.08, 948.085, or 948.095 shall be commenced before the victim reaches the age of 45 years or be barred, except as provided in sub. (2d) (c)

(cm) A prosecution for violation of s. 948.03 (2) (b) or (c), (3) or (4), 948.04 or 948.07 (5) or (6) shall be commenced before the victim reaches the age of 26 years or be barred.

(2d)

(a) In this subsection, "deoxyribonucleic acid profile" means an individuals patterned chemical structure of genetic information identified by analyzing biological material that contains the individuals deoxyribonucleic acid.

(am) For purposes of this subsection, crimes are related if they are committed against the same victim, are proximate in time, and are committed with the same intent, purpose, or opportunity so as to be part of the same course of conduct.

(b) If before the time limitation under sub. (1) expired, the state collected biological material that is evidence of the identity of the person who committed a violation of s. 940.225 (1) or (2), the state identified a deoxyribonucleic acid profile from the biological material, and comparisons of that deoxyribonucleic acid profile to deoxyribonucleic acid profiles of known persons did not result in a probable identification of the person who is the source of the biological material, the state may commence prosecution of the person who is the source of the biological material at any time, for a violation of s. 940.225 (1), or within 12 months after comparison of the deoxyribonucleic acid profile relating to the violation results in a probable identification of the person, for a violation of s. 940.225 (2)

(c) If before the time limitation under sub. (2) (c) expired, the state collected biological material that is evidence of the identity of the person who committed a violation of s. 948.02 (2) or 948.025 (1) (b), the state identified a deoxyribonucleic acid profile from the biological material, and comparisons of that deoxyribonucleic acid profile to deoxyribonucleic acid profiles of known persons did not result in a probable identification of the person who is the source of the biological material, the state may commence prosecution of the person who is the source of the biological material for violation of s. 948.02 (2) or 948.025 (1) (b) within 12 months after comparison of the deoxyribonucleic acid profile relating to the violation results in a probable identification of the person.

(3) In computing the time limited by this section, the time during which the actor was not publicly a resident within this state or during which a prosecution against the actor for the same act was pending shall not be included. A prosecution is pending when a warrant or a summons has been issued, an indictment has been found, or an information has been filed.

(4) In computing the time limited by this section, the time during which an alleged victim under s. 940.22 (2) is unable to seek the issuance of a complaint under s. 968.02 due to the effects of the sexual contact or due to any threats, instructions or statements from the therapist shall not be included.

Thanks,

Katherine