Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

I am presently in the last for months of federal parole.

I am presently in the last for months of federal parole. In May of 2008 THC showed up in my urine test. I took responsibility for the infraction and entered into a treatment program in June of 2008. While I have not used myself, I did unwillingly enter a confined space where someone who was himself using marijuana. As a result I had a positive test result. While waiting for more detailed readings on the test, what options do I have?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
Have you spoken with your parole officer about the circumstances under which you entered the place where marijuana was being used? If not, and you have a good relationship with him, you should talk to him about it.

What will ultimately happen with your parole will be determined largely by what your parole officer thinks about the situation. If you entered this place unwillingly and can prove that, he may be willing to give you a break. In the meanwhile, of course, you should continue to abstain from using any prohibited drugs and otherwise complying with all of the terms of your probation.

Jim Reilly