P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

what is the penalty for statuatory rape, and is there any ...

what is the penalty for statuatory rape, and is there any way this situation can be fought? he''s 17, she''s 13. both consented to the action.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
HI and thanks for the chance to help

Can you tell me the state you are in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Philip Simmons's Post: MIssouri
There are several different charges that can be brought...can you tell me if they have charged this as statutory rape (1st Degree/2nd Degree) or have charges been filed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
charges have not yet been filed. mother of daughter has stated that she was getting the police involved
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you have another ? that you want me to answer?
Sorry

I'm researching this now

Please give me a few more minutes

OK

Thanks for the accept

The first concern I would have is if your son is charged as an adult. If this happens this case becomes very serious. Missouri allows the state to try a 17 year old as an adult in some cases.

1. A person commits the crime of statutory rape in the first degree if he has sexual intercourse with another person who is less than fourteen years old.

2. Statutory rape in the first degree or an attempt to commit statutory rape in the first degree is a felony for which the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than five years, unless in the course thereof the actor inflicts serious physical injury on any person, displays a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument in a threatening manner, subjects the victim to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with more than one person, or the victim is less than twelve years of age in which case the authorized term of imprisonment is life imprisonment or a term of years not less than ten years.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like if the state prosecutes your soon as an adult, he is facing, if convicted, a 5 year sentence at minimum

I recommend you seek the help from a GOOD local attorney who specializes in criminal defense.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I need to step away for approx 2 hours but will try and answer when I return
o

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry i could not pay you more, but i absolutely appreciate your time and efforts. you have confirmed my suspicions and have givin me more info about the jail time. i find it a shame that you can talk to your kids untill your blue in the face and it still doesn't sink in.