N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

I am interested to know if a Ohio state highway patrol ...

I am interested to know if a Ohio state highway patrol officer has the right topull you over on backroads (non-highway?)   I am also curious to know that if a ohio highway patrol officer is not in his vehicle(non-running) and is in a store but watching for people to pull over then leave the store after them, is that entrapment? Also,If an officer is watching for you personally to pull you over is that illegal, such as profiling?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
OSHP claims to have jurisdiction over all roads in Ohio. See However, according to

Amended Senate Bill 248, approved May 9, 1941, was responsible for a number of changes, among them a reformulation of powers and duties. In short, it delegated the Highway Patrol jurisdiction over all rural roads (including the power to make felony arrests), not just the state highway system. This included a provision that it was the duty of the Patrol to investigate all accidents outside municipal borders. At the same time, it barred direct enforcement within municipalities -- even on the state highway system.
So OSHP appears to have jurisdiction over rural roads.

Entrapment is when the police trick you or convince you to commit a crime you would not otherwise have committed, so I do not think it is entrapment. is the form to use to file a complaint if you think an OSHP officer acted wrongly.

Looking for you personally is not profiling but it may be selective prosecution, depending on the facts. If 20 people commit the same traffic offense and you are the only one charged that may be discriminatory enforcement. You will have to ask an attorney in Ohio about that.

I hope this information is helpful.